This healthy vegan Minestrone Soup can be easily thrown together using leftover veggies, rice, and pantry staples such as pasta frozen vegetables. We save our scraps throughout the week to make this budget-friendly dinner.
This minestrone soup is vegan, easy, healthy, and best of all, delicious! Even my kids loved it. I think there’s something about all the little shell pastas that they just can’t help gobble up.
You can use any type of shaped pastas for this recipe – even broken up lasagna – but I like using small shell pasta for minestrone because it adds a certain texture that’s just irresistible.
Typically, minestrone is a tomato-based vegetable soup that includes beans and pasta or rice (or both).
This recipe includes mirepoix (onion, carrot, and celery chopped up) which I love meal-prepping at the start of the week. It’s in so many vegan soups that I figured it would save me prep time if I chopped it all in advance, and it does!
If you’re worried this soup will taste too “veggie” – it doesn’t! I promise, it’s absolutely delicious and even my picky kids ate it up happily. Of course it doesn’t hurt to have a slice of crusty bread with vegan butter on hand so you can get a bit of that scarpetta action in, too!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil $0.07
- 1 cup onion $0.21
- 1/2 cup celery $0.20
- 1/2 cup carrots $0.10
- 1 tsp garlic $0.02
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning $0.10
- 1/3 cup tomato paste $0.18
- 1/2 tsp black pepper $0.02
- 1/2 cup beer $0.12
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes $0.84
- 2 Tbsp vegetable bouillon $0.38
- 6 cups water $0.00
- 1 15 oz can cannellini beans $0.47
- 1 cup dry pasta $0.18
- 1 cup potatoes $0.21
- 1 cup frozen spinach $0.98
- Chop the onion, celery, and carrots. Mince garlic. Dice potatoes and drain the beans if using.
- Sauté onion, celery and carrots in oil, 5 minutes in the Instant Pot, then add garlic, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and black pepper, and sauté another 2-3 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with beer or wine, then add the rest of the ingredients. If adding leftover scraps such as cooked rice, cooked pasta, etc add them now.Give the soup a stir, then put the lid on the Instant Pot and set the valve to sealing.
- Pressure cook for 9 minutes at high pressure. Do a quick release when done.
- You can use any small white canned beans for this recipe, navy beans, great northern beans, etc.
- You can replace the beer with wine or vinegar to deglaze the pot.